Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Recipe: Blood Building/Liver Nourishing Syrup

So yummy I had to share!

All herbs are dried:

1/2c burdock root
1/2c dandelion root
1/4c astragalus root
dash of fennel seeds
dash of ginger

Tweak ingredients as needed.  If you have a warmer constitution or heat issues, omit the ginger.

Add the burdock, dandy and astragalus to 2 cups of water in a saucepan with lid.  Simmer on low for 1-2hrs.  Do not rush this.  A nice long and steady decoction is needed to pull out the inulin and polysaccharides wanted.  Add the fennel and ginger for the last 20 minutes of decoction only.

Strain the herbs.  I ended up with approximately 1 cup of liquid at this point.  I then ran the spent roots through my juicer and added that extra few tablespoons of sediment-heavy liquid to my decoction.  Personally, I think this step is very important, but not absolutely essential. 

Let it cool just a bit, then add 1/2c or less raw honey.  I used closer to 1/4c as I want to taste the herbs more than the honey.  Bottle and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 months.  Enjoy liberally!

I take a tablespoon a few times a day, but especially at night with my probiotic supplement. The flavor is earthy and sweet and pleasing to almost anyone's palate. 

20 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for this recipe! I'm wondering, what type of juicer do you use? And do you have trouble cleaning the roots out when you're done?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh if only this had been addressed in h.s. chem class-I likely would've paid more attention. ok-where do I start to look for these ingredients? My liver needs some support so I'm motivated to go beyond reading about it...thnx :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Milena- My juicer is a pretty cheap one from L'equip that I bought many moons ago when I worked at a hfs. I'm not into "juicing" really, and only use it for herbally things like nourishing roots and turmeric juice. It's the basket type that spits out the pulp. No problem w/cleaning.

    Jayne- I'm pretty sure all of these can be found at Greenlife, but if you want to commit to more than one batch, check out Mountain Rose Herbs online. Wholesale pricing (basically half of retail!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This syrup is wonderful! Thank you so much. I'm 8 months pregnant and it just feels so nourishing and building. I have a Champion juicer and it got lots and lots of goodies out of those roots!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wekz...
    really ??
    i think only in anime world has medicine like that...
    Medicine of herbal

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, I just came to your blog for the first time. I was here 30 seconds and saw burdock root, dandelion root, astragalus root, fennel seeds & ginger.....I'M IN LOVE!! :) Barefoot Mama

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rare for me to see such recipe. Well, it's a new thing for me trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great article ...Thanks for your great information, the contents are quiet interesting. I will be waiting for your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for herbal blend that was really useful, I tried it but I'm not sure if it was well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like all details that you provide in your articles.
    herbal incense

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow! This is very interesting and I wanna try this also, I wanna taste and discover all by myself the effectiveness of this herbal medicine. I am currently using ayahuasca products and I love it so much, maybe you should try it also and buy ayahuasca prodcuts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great topic, thanks for lot for sharing a such good post! | Buy himalaya products online |

    ReplyDelete
  15. Herbal cleansing bath contains a lot of herbs,
    among others: thyme herb, oat herb, comfrey root, etc.
    Be free of whipworms.

    https://www.facebook.com/Herbal.cleansing.bath/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic recipe i even added beetroot like a extra. https://taraherbal.co.uk

    ReplyDelete